Water Station / Watergate Island
The Waterstation in Mülheim, idyllically situated on the “Schleuseninsel” (Watergate Island), has been an extremely popular destination for locals as well as tourists for years and years, especially as a day trip destination.
Huge palm trees give the promenade a Mediterranean feel during the summer months. A floral sundial – dating back to 1853 – and a fountain are rounding off the holiday-impressions of Watergate Island. Popular restaurant “Franky’s” invites guests to stay and enjoy a tasty meal or simply relax with some drinks in their beer garden. The building that houses the restaurant was established during the 1920th and is based on the shape of a ship’s bow.
To spend leisure time, Watergate Island also offers a variety of walking and cycling opportunities. The historic watergate is the so-called “entry door” to this area and a last reminder of the busy times of the industrialization. It was in 1460 that the first coal was found in Mülheim an der Ruhr, but the transport of coal to the Rhine and further, was only possible after the watergate was built in 1780.
In spite of the manual operation, every 10 to 15 minutes a ship passed through at peak times. In 1927 – after the Kahlenberg Barrage was built – the water level of the Ruhr rose 1.5 m. Yet it was leveled. In 1993/1994 it was completely renovated and is still in use for leisure time traffic, like canoes, small boat, yachts and the White Fleet.